Wednesday, October 12, 2005

ramblings

I just spent the last four hours trying to write a short story. It was hell. But it's done now.

But I can get on here and ramble on for pages and pages with no trouble whatsoever. What's up with that? I guess I just don't like fiction. I've always liked to write, and I'm really good at essays and such, but creative writing does not come easily to me at all.
...
We're broke, and we don't have much in the way of groceries. I felt like shit tonight, so Jim made supper. I was afraid we were gonna have peanut butter and jelly, or that he'd say to hell with it and order pizza, but he actually made a pretty good meal. We had red beans and rice from a mix, with diced ham added to it. Better than hamburger helper, anyway.

When I buy groceries, I tend to get lots of fresh veggies and fruits, but then we forget to eat them because we're so busy so they just sit in the fridge and rot. I hate that. I LIKE vegetables, I just don't ever remember to cook until it's late and we're starving and everything's still frozen.

....
I said the word "apeshit" in an IM conversation with my youngest brother. He'd apparently never heard that term before.

My other favorite swear word currently is "skullfuck." Now, you have to have the right context. Like, recently we replaced the screen door. It used to be torn in the corner so the animals could go in and out. Well, now the glass pane is at the bottom of the door. The first time the cat tried to jump out the door, she got skullfucked.

(I actually thought my husband and his friends coined this term, because I'd never heard it anywhere else. But I found out recently that it comes from the movie American History X.)

...
We watched City of Angels last night. It's soooo cheesy, but you gotta love it. I didn't cry until the very end, when all the angels are gathered together, and he goes running into the ocean.

...
there's now 34 kids on my swim team. Two of them I swear are ADHD - brother and sister. I could kill them! I could handle 'em fine last summer when the team was half the size it is now. I had 'em doing pushups for punishment. It didn't seem to help.

...
My brother Matt called from Iraq the other day. I was at work, so I didn't get to talk to him. Apparently, it's a good idea when sending pixie stix across the world to put them in a ziplock baggie, or else they break open and get pixie dust all over everything. But he liked the vampire teeth that Matthew picked out for him.

...
Halloween. I need to get pumpkins. Matthew has his costume - he's going to be a ninja with orange hair.

No comments: